Wednesday, January 7, 2009

YUM!

Today was very food focused, apart from a five hour gap in which i had to go to stoopid work- which was boooring.
Last night I chucked cut up mango and vanilla soy yogurt in the freezer, thus creating my breakfast for the morn. I think I'll call it mango & 'cream' bowl, it was sooo good! On top I sprinkled some brazillian nuts which had been food processed cause I love eating them all ground up. It was such a yummy breakfast and good for cooling me down cause it is so hot down here.
For a snack I tried the Kitz bar I posted about yesterday, it was Goji Berry and Choc Chip flavor and it was divine, I liked it better than the apple, vanilla and cinnamon one I tired. The buckwheat kernels just made the bar really crunchy and delicious I'm definitely getting more of these A.S.A.P.

I was hungry for lunch after work, mum wanted me to use up the tofu in the fridge that I'd opened the other day. I didn't know what I felt like but after seeing a jar of all natural crunchy peanut butter sitting on the bench I decided tofu and peanut butter would be a dynamite combo, so i spread it on top with some of the ground brazillian nuts from this morning that I hadn't used and tossed them in the grill.
I then proceeded to cut up mushrooms (I LOVE mushrooms) with spanish onion and baby spinach which I lightly cooked in the fry pan and ate alongside some raw green beans.
My nutty tofu, which I'd been expecting to be brilliant (after all what isn't brilliant when peanut butter is involved?) wasn't all that great, it tasted a little bland but I'm determined to try again with some other ingredients added, maybe tamari or something, any suggestions??

Dinner was *drumroll please* ....seitan!
A BIG thanks to Theresa from The Tropical Vegan for supplying me with the recipe. It was brilliant, so yum, not at all what I expected it to taste like, but really, really delicious all the same. And so filling too. I enjoyed my seitan with some cut up carrot sticks and kalamata olive and cashew dip, as well as some snow peas.
Now I'm off to do a quick bike ride and read something- i don't know what yet.
Catch you soon, keep smiling :)

22 comments:

Amy said...

Ahhh so that's the frozen mango you were talking about. Looks super yummy! And mmm I love mushrooms too.

Glad your seitan experimentation turned out so well :) It looks good!

steph said...

Things to add to the nutty tofu...maybe soy sauce, perhaps some sesame oil?

Anonymous said...

Great looking seitan, yummy!
And that mango and cream bowl sound heavenly!! Make me some ;)

Erica said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm with Shelby- your breakfast looks amazing!

Lauren said...

Great eats! Everything looks so delish! :)

Anonymous said...

that food looks good!

pats & genos are the two main cheese steak places in philadelphia

Sophia Lee said...

did you salt and pepper the tofu? salt makes a huge difference! and also, maybe you might want to marinate the tofu in the PB for about 1/2 an hour before popping it into the oven? but tofu and pb has been one of the concoctions I've been thinking about, but still haven't come up with the "perfect" recipe...let me know if you come up with a good PB marinate!
wow seitan...sounds good!

Jenny said...

Whoa girl - incredible eats! you are a fantastic little chef, I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

tofu and peanut butter?? what an awesome idea! maybe to make it less bland but keep the peanut buttery goodness, maybe make it into a peanut sauce? (mix it with some soy sauce and a bit of sugar) usually that can make anything pretty tasty!
oh and your seitan..looks soo scrumptious! :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh the seitan looks delish!

Yes, definitely try broiling veggies-- it just ups the flavor even more than baking (especially when garlic is involved!).

Anonymous said...

Hey! thank you for the comment :) I LOVE what you made for breakfast, so creative and it's making me crave mangos now for real!

aussirish said...

heya hun,
your brekkie looks soo yummy:) and does your din dins!!
hope you have a nice bike ride girlie,
xxxx

brooke said...

breakfast, lunch, and dinner all look fabulous! i love asian-peanut tofu so maybe try using a recipe for a peanut sauce? with the addition of brazilian nuts it would be dynamite :) yum i love mushrooms too!

hope you have a lovely evening!

p.s as for the coconut milk, it adds a nice sweet subtle coconut flavor. you should try it sometime :)

Kiki said...

Yay for seitan! Glad you liked it. For the tofu, you could try adding soy sauce/tamari and coconut milk. The mango and cream bowl sounds really good, the yogurt didn't get too hard in the freezer overnight?

Molly said...

ah I LOVE mushrooms as well. Yesterday at work the manager was chopping up mushrooms and told me "I dare you to pick up a handful and eat them for 10 dollars" I was like well that would be a bad dare because I love mushrooms.

Your eats look amazing!

Ali said...

Breakfast and dinner look really great! However, the tofu doesn't look all that appetizing. I've never had tofu but my mom says its terrible. My dad, however, says it all depends on how you cook it. Is that true?

Anonymous said...

Hey! Just saw your comment on my blog. :)

The nutty tofu sounds awesome!

I haven't made anything else out of My Sweet Vegan, but I definitely will soon!

Theresa said...

The seitan looks great!

Maybe to make the tofu less bland, you could marinate it in a mixture of chilli, garlic, soy sauce, and brown sugar for an hour or so before spreading on the nut butter. Then it's got all the flavours of peanut sauce, but without being saucy.

Your breakfast looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

i've never tried seitan before! what is it like? im a big tofu fan though! your breakfast looks wonderful :)

Hayley said...

All of your meals look so tasty! One question...did you eat the mango and yogurt frozen? I was a little confused.

Anonymous said...

Amira!

You are such a sweetie. Thank you so much for all your kind words this past week. It's helped me immensely. Your blog is off to such an awesome start! Look at all these comments & visitors! The pictures of your eats look fabulous as well.

Unknown said...

hi! great blog you have here! =)
i LOVE mushroom too...it seems people either hate it or love it~