Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pancakes & Babies

Since it's school holidays my sleeping patterns have been so out of whack, i've been going to bed like past 12 and waking up after 8 most days which is so unlike me usually it's like 9 to bed and wake before 6. Anyway that's beside the point, today was a very luxurious Sunday morning, I rolled out of bed around 9 and mum decided to make breakfast (yeah!).

She somewhat altered (okay altered quite a bit, she can never make a recipe without adding her own bits in) the banana-pecan pancake recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. She used spelt flour and flaxseed oil and almond meal and i don't know what else, then we topped them with the most delicious mango, it was such a treat and soooooo delicious.

I was extra tired all day because last night i was up till around 3 watching JUNO with commentary. This dvd was a christmas present from my cousins because they know how much i love it. I'm just in love with the dialogue it's so witty and fresh and ellen page and michael cera do such a great job, the commentary which was by the director Jason Reitman and screenwriter Diablo Cody was really interesting.












Before my midnight viewing of that film I spent a very relaxed night watching La Vie En Rose (a French film about the life of the French singer Edith Piaf) and reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck, it's my first novel by Steinbeck which is kind of weird because you'd think I'd choose of men and mice cause it's probably his most famous, but I'd thought I'd give this one a try i have no idea why.














I just realized that wasn't a very food-y post so I'll quickly mention that I'm planning to try the Edamame Three-Bean Salad from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch today sometime and hopefully bake something absolutly decadent and fabulous as well, which I will post about tomorrow. I'll leave you all with one of the many awesome quotes from Juno and the wish that you all have an amazing day.

You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events ~ JUNO

16 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Beautiful pancakes... I especially love the idea of the mango on top.

Erica said...

How is Skinny Bitch in the Kitch?

Your breakfast looks great and Juno is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Juno, it is such a funny movie.

Pancakes with mango??! Heck yes! That is so sweet that your mom made them for you, my mom wouldn't know what to do in the kitchen =)

Skinny Bitch is one of my favorite books ever, and the cookbook is pretty sweet too.

Megan said...

great gifts!

those pancakes look heavenlyyyyy. i wish my mom could cook like that!!

Nicci said...

I love that movie, its so funny, but the end makes me cry b/c its so sweet.

Kiki said...

Seems like you had a very enjoyable day. Those pancakes look so good, your mom is a very healthy cook!

My favorite Wii game is one I just got, it's called Outdoor Challenge. It's got a floor mat to go with it and it's so fun and active! Do you have any games yet?

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Hi, Amira! What a great breakfast, your mom rocks!

Juno was great! The dialogue really was so witty. I've been wanting to watch La Vie En Rose, I'll have to put it on our movie queue.

I love your profile photo! Thank you for your nice comments on my blog! :)

x said...

Hi Amira, great to see another Aussie vegan blogger! And you're only 16, go you!

I too am an early to bed, early to rise but being on holidays has warped my body clock!

Those pancakes look great!

Léna, said...

Hahaha, Thanks mum! I think it's actually normal to have a wack sleeping rythym when you're in highschool. As long as you're not over or under sleeping you're doing fine, and it's holidays, so what's to get up before 6 about?!?!?1
La Vie en Rose is an amazing film! I have an Edith Piaf lyric tattoo'd under my ankle - JE NE REGRETTE RIEN - i regret nothing!!

I'd hate to tell ya but I always forget that I even own this Vegan cookbook that I got the amazing pancakes from! An exhousemate once had a DISASTER trying to make the omlette but i think she skipped heaps of stuff. So I'm sorry that I don't have much to report! Happy holidays, thanks for checking out my dismal blog
xL

Anonymous said...

Hi Amira!

Thank you so much for the add & comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog. YAY! Another vegan friend! I am a passionate believer of veganism. I sometimes worry that people associate my ED with it, but veganism IS healthy (ED is not). And I hope that someday, I WILL be the poster child for healthy vegans! I'm workin' on it.

Your pancakes sound & look d-e-licious! Oh, and La Vie en Rose is one of my favorite films! Did you like it? Juno was awesome too!

Sophia Lee said...

aaah! you're evil! I've been craving pancakes recently and seeing your delicious pancakes I might just go crazy! hahaha~

brooke said...

your pancakes looks gorgeous! and i love the addition of mango!

la vie en rose is such a wonderful film! great choice :) and i look forward to seeing the bean salad! i have not tried it yet, but i love that cookbook. full of easy (and yummy) recipes!

Jess said...

Thanks so much for the comment on my page :) I really appreciate it. Yummy pancakes! Have a great day!
<3 jess :)
xxx

Anonymous said...

aw thank you for the comment! i LOOOVEEE juno holy cow!!! one of my favs!

Anonymous said...

your pancakes look scumptious! how sweet of your mom to make them for you :)

and i love love LOVE juno. definitely one of my favorite movies..i've yet to watch it with commentary though..i'll have to stay up late doing that one night too haha

Ali said...

I'm so in love with JUNO it's ridiculous! Definitely one of my favorite movies! In fact, I think I will go watch it right now. Maybe. :D

Great post! Oh my gosh, Edamame is so addicting! Sorry, but it's the truth. That salad sounds really great. And its super healthy so its a win/win situation! :D

I am going to rent La Vie En Rose and see if I like it! And maybe, when I get the time, I will read East of Eden!