Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mirabar

Hi lovely ladies! Today my friend Mel came over to help me attempt (i stress the word) make a larabar style thing. We went on the larabar website and chose to recreate the one with fewest ingredients- the cashew cookie bar. It was just dates & cashews- seems simple enough- right?
So first we soaked 1/2 cup dates in boiling water for a little bit and squished them around then we food processed 1/4 cup cashews until they were fairly fine. We proceeded to chuck the mushed up dates into the processor, combining the two ingredients.
It turned out a little mushy but we were able to shape it into a bar which we stuck in the freezer so it would harden. Here's a video of us, Mel was determined to make a laraball instead of a bar! LOL:
Sorry bout the upside down-ness of the video!

The second vid is just Mel messin round!
Anyway I dn't have a finished product of the laraball cause us greedy girls gobbled it up straight from the freezer, but I did take this pic of my attempt at a larabar:
And now for the verdict...
Well we left it in the freezer for about 2hrs, it was pretty solid but we probably could have left it in for longer if we weren't so eager to eat it! It was pretty scrumptious, probably a little too mushy though and there were still little pieces of date that hadn't processed properly. Since I have no frame of reference to what a larabar actually tastes like I don't know if it comes anywhere near close to tasting similar but we both thought it tasted pretty darn good for what it was. I'll definitley be giving this experiment another try, maybe attempting a flavor with more ingredients next time like the cinnamon roll.
Anyway feedback on the bar is very appreciated, does it look anything similar?? What do you think I could do differently next time?? What are they suppose to taste like in comparison to something??
Thankyou all heaps and heaps
Have a fantastically great night!!

30 comments:

Ali said...

It actually really looks very similar to the Larabar Amira! Great job.

aussirish said...

heya girlie,
sure il visit that girls sight later on :)thats so nice of you to look out for her.
haha you and your friend are so funny!! the videos a great idea...yup it really does remsemble the real thing :)
im gonna try make them 2day or 2moro and il let you know.
oh but why did you soak the dates? mayb thats whay the bar was too mushy?? il experiment anyways an let you know :)
have a great dat!!
xxxx

Kiki said...

Great job! The bar shaped one actually looks a lot like a larabar. I've seen likes of variations on homemade laras online. Some say to use a pureed prune mixture to nuts ratio of 1:4. I think this one looks pretty good: http://www.cookiemadness.net/?s=lara&submit=Go
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

It looks really really similar to one! I've always wanted to make my own but I'm too lazy ;)

Cute Video!

Taylor said...

Love the video!!! Your larabars look like the real ones!! I am wanting to experiment on them.... I will let you know how mine turn out!!

Em said...

oh my gosh your video is too cute!! And you did an amazing job making a lara bar! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I suggest trying the banana bread Larabar recipe on my blog- it wa sthe one that came out the most similar :) Goodluck!

Angela

Anonymous said...

hey! that totally looks like a Larabar..couldave fooled me!

Lauren said...

Love the video, love your accent, love the Lara bars, too cute! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Love the video haha

Jenny said...

Haha Amira you are adorable! I love that video..you girls look like you had so much fun :)!!

and your larabar looks AMAZING! very professional girl :)! I wish I could make my own bars but I definitely lack abilities in the kitchen!

Have a wonderful night darling! <333 xoxo love ya!

Alyssa said...

I definetly think thats how a homemade larabar should look. good job! mabey next time you should double the recipe so you can eat one earlier, then leave one in the freezer for a longer period of time so you can see if it doesn't make it watery?
I love the jeans too :D I am going to try to find a pair of thrift jeans and cut them like that :D

Unknown said...

haha like your video!! :)

your larabar looks just like a regular one! good job!

NAVAL LANGA said...

You have very good readership. I liked your writing and would like to visit again.

If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs would be an interesting one.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

Molly said...

Love the video! Looks like fun! I think your larabar looks very very good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amira! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Your blog looks great--I love seeing all the cool vegetarian/vegan foods. The green smoothie is oddly appealing! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, your bar looks AMAZING! Like an actual real life Larabar. I really want to have a go at making my own since bars are so expensive, I doubt mine will turn out as good as yours though :)

Erica said...

It looks just perfect! I love the accent! Glad you guys had fun making the lara bars and balls haha.

Anonymous said...

Your Larabar looks awesome!!! Yay for you!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh, I think it definitely looks similar! I want to try making my own... or what I'd really like to try is making a jocalat bar. Yummmmmy :o)

Erica said...

I'm so glad you love Body Step! It is just the best workout ever ever! Do you take the other Les Mills programs ever (pump, attack, etc?)

The Purple Carrot said...

I haven't ever had a Larabar so I don't know if it looks like one but I do know that yours looks really good! : )

Anonymous said...

Great job with the larabar ball! Great video, you two are so cool!

Hayley said...

I loved the video, and your voices - too cute. The larabar looks like the real thing to me. As for the workout DVD, I have never used one, I'm a gym girl, so I don't have any recommendations. Good luck!

NAVAL LANGA said...

I just say your video, with all its upside down-ness. It's Nice one.

Naval Langa

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You girls are so cute, I love the videos! That does look a lot like a Larabar!

Leslie said...

I think it looks just like a Larabar! Love the experiment! you girls are adorable!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

x said...

It looks like a Larabar! And I didn't soak my dates I just blended them first, then the nuts and then mushed it together with my hands before wrapping in cling wrap and stored them in the fridge! Cute video too :)

AuntyTeeni said...

I have to agree with Mandee - I never soaked anything when I made my Larabar type raw brownie balls. Just make sure your food processor is a good one (so you don't kill the motor) and you should be okay. You could add a drop or two of water to help process things but no more than that and if you need to, just roll the balls around in your hands and then roll them in some more crushed nuts if they seem too sticky for you. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Nuts, I did that dang thing again where I forget to use the right URL. :)