Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lottsa beans?

Holidays are going so quickly, aren't they? only three weeks left now and I'm in my final year of high school which is kinda exciting but kinda scary.
Throughout my life I've always had a different career path in mind, from journalist to teacher to nutritionist or occupational therapist and like a zillion others, but this year (the one year it really counts) i have no idea what i want to do????? When I went to an open day at the University of Queensland the courses that really inspired me were like philosophy and literature, but i don't really know what career path these can lead to except teaching? Anyway to see if I really was interested I bought this book by Dwight Furrow which explains the key concepts in philosophy for students. I'll tell you how it's going...











Onto the food:












Morning tea was a new bar I found called Oxi-Plus, which I thought tasted alright a little too much dried fruit but okay.














Then at lunch I tried an extremely modified version of the Edamame Three-bean salad from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. I got back from work all prepared to make the real version and realized we were out of corn, basil, most of the ingredients for the dressing and chickpeas (shock!), so I settled on a baby spinach, kidney bean, mung bean and edamame variation with a little olive oil tossed in.














Then afterwards I had one of my bliss ball things, i don't really know what to call them, they're a variation of a myriad of different dessert ball recipes. I used soaked dates, coconut, tahini, carob powder, soy protein, agave nectar and almond meal. They were really delicious!
Anyway I'm off to do some much needed yoga, ta ta!

16 comments:

Ali said...

Ok, I am sooo making that salad for dinner one of the nights this week Amira! Holy crow! It looks delicious!

Susan said...

Isn't it funny how some of the tastiest meals are those born out of having to improvise when we realise that we don't have the ingredients we thought we did! And those bliss balls look so tasty!

Thanks for finding my blog :) There are loads of other Aussie vegan blogs around as well, I'll add you to my blog roll.

Single White Female said...

Hey Amira,
Happy belated New Years to you too :)
Try not to stress too much about your career choices, you will work it out.
Now about those Bliss Balls - they look soooo good.

The Purple Carrot said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment : ) That bean salad looks good, I love beans! haha.

aussirish said...

thanks for the comment :)
wow those ball things look soo good :) how do you make them??
are u from austrailia? jus cause u mentioned queensland!
im the same about career paths..im so indecisive and change my mind alot, but ive realised now that theresno point rushign anything and making the wrong choice, i trust that the decision wil come to me eventually, and im sure it will for you too!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love the eats today. Esp. the salad! Love edamame. I get the little Dora the Explorer packs from Target which come in 6 little snack packs.

Sophia Lee said...

wow those bliss balls look so sinfully delicious! love edamame, too! they're so sweet and lovely...
good luck in your decision! I'm sure you'll find something that you have a passion for!

brooke said...

ethics! best of luck! your edamame salad looks so fresh, i must try it. and your bliss balls! great idea using protein powder. well i hope you enjoyed your relaxing yoga session! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi ~ Thanks for the comment! Your bliss balls look really good.

I'll add you to my blogroll!
~Amanda

Kiki said...

I wouldn't worry about choosing a career now, you're only 16! Great eats today, especially the bliss balls. Hope you had a nice yoga session!

Molly said...

Thank you for the nice comment! and yes marshmellow fluff is great! I didn't know what I REALLY wanted to do until I was 1/2 way through college! You have time don't worry about it.

p.s. that ethics book you have pictured there was a book used for the Ethics course I took freshman year of college!

Anonymous said...

I've made something extremely similar to those balls before, and they were delicious!!

Theresa said...

There's plenty of jobs around no matter what you study, though they may not technically be in your exact field. A friend of mine with a PhD in literature has just got a job as an education officer at a prison, and I know a philosopher who organises all the grants that come into researchers here at the uni.

Anyways, you've got a while yet to figure it out, and you'll probably change your mind 100 times. An arts degree is a good place to start, leaves lots of room for switching!

Erica said...

Hey- figuring out what you want to do is really tough! I suggest trying to find some people to shadow who have jobs that you're interested in! Those dessert balls look awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amira - thanks for your comment on my blog! Your bliss balls look very delicious. :-)

Unknown said...

that ethics book sounds really interesting, i love reading about philosophy and especially hearing other's thoughts about it. :)
your bliss balls look amazing..so healthy too!