Monday, January 5, 2009

Taking my mind off my dog...

I'm extremely anxious today because my puppy Jack has to go in for an operation. He has a tumor on his spleen, i'm so super-worried that he won't make it out, and praying he'll be okay. I took pics of him this morning, he looked so adorable all shaved...


















This is my other doggy Kira, she is so dopey I just love her!










Anyway trying to take my mind off him I decided to jump on the computer and mess about. I remembered a while ago my friend and I were youtube-ing it up, you know just playing around watching stoopid stuff and we came across this little brainteaser. Supposedly it was tested on professionals and 90% of them got all questions wrong, but many preschoolers got several correct answers. It is really funny and hard I got all wrong answers lol! I don't know if that means I'm smart or stupid but it's fun all the same. I tried to put it up on the blog but it took for....ever, so here's the link, you should check it out, very interesting.

As for my eats today they weren't too exciting. I'm loving the summer fruit at the moment so breakfasts have consisted mainly of mangoes, plums, cherries and other scrumptious stone fruits. I wanted to make these millet burgers from Vegan: Over 90 mouthwatering recipes for all occasions and i finally got around to it today.












They did not work at all, but i think that was due to my horrible cooking skills rather than the recipe. Not that they didn't taste good- they were pretty yum but they practically fell apart when i tried to take them off the tray.












On lots of blogs seitan has been a feature of late and I've been dying to try it. Is it very delicious>does it taste anything like tofu or tempeh? Anyway I'll keep you posted when I do make it (hopefully soon!) and weather or not it was a disaster. Oh and thanks for all your comments on my previous post about my career options- i tend to stress prematurely about most things! I'm such a stress head I'm trying to do more yoga to balance myself out a little more. I'm only up to like the second chapter in my ethics book but so far it's been
très impressive, very interesting.
Peace Out All!

16 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm sending all my good thoughts your way, in the hopes that your Jack Dog gets well quickly!

I love seitan, especially baked. I have a really great recipe for baked seitan, if you'd like a copy send me an email (tropicalvegan [at] gmail.com). Most of it is only lightly flavoured, but moreso than tofu. It's a texture thing more than flavour, I think.

steph said...

Good thoughts for Jack!

The millet burger in your first photo looks a bit ominous, like it's covered in bugs. :o)

Amy said...

I'll be keeping Jack (and you) in my thoughts! I hope he recovers quickly from his operation. Both him and Kira are gorgeous.

Good luck with the seitan. It's one of those things that everyone you talk to likes it cooked a different way so don't give up if you don't happen to like the first way you make it! I can't wait to see how you go :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Get well soon Jack!

I think seitan can be tricky (no nothing like tofu or tempeh!). The recipe on the everyday dish for spicy sausages is a really good starting place because it is so easy!

Anonymous said...

Whenever my burgers fall apart I just make a scramble with them or add some marinara and make sloppy joes! Mmm.

Cute pup!

Sophia Lee said...

wow that millet burger looks interesting! what other ingredients are in it?
seitan tastes quite nice...a bit rubbery, but a more meaty taste-ish...can't explain it, you've gotta try it out yourself...but it's the marination that makes the difference, I think.
aaaww...I hope your pup has a successful operation! what a cutie...

Jenny said...

haha I love that IQ test ( I failed miserably by the way!)

I hope your dog does well in his operation. I'll be sure to say a prayer for him <3

Unknown said...

aww i hope your dog does okay!! hes simply adorable, and i'm sure he will..i'll be thinking of him :)

millet burgers! haha i've just recently started making millet and that sounds like a good idea.. sorry yours were flimsy, as long as they were yummy, i'm sure you can just eat it with a fork off the tray :)

oh and as for seitan, yes yes YES! it's absolutely delicious, i don't really think of it like tofu..more like tempeh of the two, but not really like that either. but it's quite scrumptious and i'm a huge fan..plus it's not so hard to make home-made.

Anonymous said...

I hope Jack does well in his operation. I'll be thinking of him!

Millet burgers sound interesting, to say the least. I'd probably mix them with some tofu or seitan to keep them together better.

Seitan is great, you really should try it. It's not really like tofu or tempeh, kind of meaty. Ish. It's really easy to make using vital wheat gluten.

Theresa said...

Hey Amira, if my email hasn't gone through, then just send me a quick message when you get your email working again and I'll resend.

Hayley said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my site, as it lead me to your fantastic site! I'm sending good thoughts your way in hopes your puppy stays strong.

I love all of your posts, you write beautifully, and well thought out. If you're still searching for a Larabar flavor, I'd recommend Banana Bread if you're a Banana lover or PB Cookie if you're a nut lover. Cashew Cookie and Cinnamon Roll are great too. Whatever you choose, I'd stay away from Coconut Cream, I thought it tasted like nail polish remover, but that's just me. Good Luck!

Jess said...

Cool foods today! Those burgers look awesome! Have a great night :D
<3 jess :)

P.S CUTE dogs!!!

Jess said...

I hope your puppy does well! I meant to mention that in my other comment...give him a hug for me!! :)
<3 jess :)
xxx

Anonymous said...

Haha, that IQ test is awesome!
Great eats and enjoy your night!

Esi said...

Hope your dog is ok soon. The burger sounds good even though it fell apart.

Lauren said...

Hey, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope everything goes well with Jack. When Ginger had her operation (to be fixed) I was so upset. You are in my thoughts!

Yummy Burgers! :)